Thursday, October 20, 2016

Recipe Review: Coconut Oatmeal Cookies


I tried these on a whim.  Basically, I had accidentally bought a bag of sweetened coconut, rather than the unsweetened I needed for a different recipe, and I needed to use it up.  Also, it doesn't hurt to try something that isn't chocolate every once in a while.

I wanted to say I followed the recipe exactly, and I almost did.  Sadly, when I went to make them, I realized I only had about half a cup of white sugar left.  The recipe called for 1 cup, so I just substituted that extra half cup with more brown sugar.  I don't think it made much of a difference, so I am just going to post the recipe exactly as it was written. Also, here is the original link:
Coconut Oatmeal Cookies

Coconut Oatmeal Cookies

  • 1 cup butter
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 tsp. vanilla
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 1 tsp. baking powder
  • 2 1/2 cups flour
  • 2 cups oatmeal
  • 1 cup coconut
  1. Cream together butter, sugars, eggs and vanilla.
  2. Mix all dry ingredients together in a separate bowl.
  3. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix well.
  4. Spoon onto baking sheet. Bake at 350 for 8-10 minutes.
I actually ended up baking these for about 11 minutes.  I don't think my oven runs as hot as others.  After 11 minutes, they were a nice light brown on the bottom, but definitely not ready to take off the pan.  Let them sit for at least 5 minutes and then transfer them to a cooling rack.
 
Here is my process.  Sometimes, it's nice to see pictures of how another person's process goes just so know you are on the right track.
 
Here's where I thought I may have fallen off that track.  I was simply creaming the butter and the sugar, and I couldn't get the chunks out of the butter.  Maybe it was too cold when I put it in there.  I thought it was room temperature, but maybe the room was cold ;).  Anyway, I am here to tell you not to worry if this happens to you.  It made NO difference.  All was well.
 
 
Here is the dough with everything added.  It's just one big chunky mess anyway. I mean that in a good way.
 
 
This is the point I almost always second guess myself.......the size to make the cookies.  This recipe ended up making 36 (well 35 if I am being honest) good sized cookies.  I fit twelve to a pan.  I didn't flatten them or anything of the sort. 

 
I think they came out great!
 
I took a couple out for each kid for an after school snack.  No, these aren't the healthiest, but nice for a treat.  I always know if my baking is a hit if I find myself yelling at my boys to keep their little paws out of the cookie tin.  Yes, I did hear myself ever so kindly telling them to stay out of the tin.  I would say these have definitely passed my pintest!
 
 
What to search for on Pinterest: Coconut Oatmeal Cookies (or see link above).
Pros: Fairly quick to make, delicious, not your regular chocolate chip cookie, easy
Cons: Not your regular chocolate chip cookie (I know. I am contradicting myself.)
Would I make these again: Yes, however, I would probably add chocolate chips.  Don't they just make EVERYTHING better?
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment