Sunday, November 6, 2016

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins



What to do with left over pumpkin? I had some from another recipe I was trying out, so I decided to go to my tried and true pumpkin muffin recipe.  I really like this recipe because I have healthified it somewhat and it doesn't take a whole can of pumpkin, so it's perfect for using up those leftovers.

Here is my recipe:

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins

  • 1 cup of coconut sugar
  • 1/4 cup of melted coconut oil
  • 2 eggs lightly beaten
  • 3/4 - 1 cup of canned pure pumpkin
  • 1/4 cup water or milk
  • 1 cup unbleached flour
  • 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1 tspn baking soda
  • 1/2 tspn salt
  • 1/4 tspn ground cloves
  • 1/2 tspn cinnamon
  • 1/4 tspn ground nutmeg
  • 3/4 cup of milk chocolate chips
Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Line muffin pan with paper liners.
2. Combine sugar, oil, eggs, and water (or milk).  Set aside.
3. Mix together flours, baking soda, salt, and spices. 
4. Add wet mixture to dry just until combined. Stir in chocolate chips.
5. Bake for 20-25 minutes until toothpick comes out clean.
6. Let sit in tin for 5 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack.

I use coconut sugar for most of my regular baking. That is why my sugar, oil and egg mixture is pretty dark.   I only used 3/4 of a cup of coconut sugar, and I don't notice a difference in flavour. 


After you have that combined, you just need to add your pumpkin and water or milk.  This day, I simply used water.

Once you combine your wet and dry ingredients, the batter does seem a little thick.  Not to worry, it all works out in the end.  Only combine until all the flour is absorbed into the mixture.  Then stir in your chocolate chips. 

Here are my muffins before going into the oven. Not too pretty, I know.




I baked mine for exactly 22 minutes.  20 minutes is probably enough for most ovens.  Mine always seems to need that extra couple minutes.  Do not over bake because they will dry out.

These muffins aren't the prettiest muffins, but they are a healthier version without skimping on flavour!  We love these muffins around here and I do make them frequently.




No comments:

Post a Comment